Watermelon Season is upon us here in the South. Fresh watermelon should be easily found in most of the Farmer’s markets throughout the South by mid-July. But, you may ask- Why should I eat watermelon?
Simply because it is delicious and quite healthy. Here are some of the great reasons you should be enjoying this delicious summer fruit:
- More Lypocene than any other fruit of veggie. So, what is lypocene? Lycopene is a carotenoid that gives watermelon its red color, and it is only available in a few other foods, including tomatoes. Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant.
- Vitamins A, B6, and C– All of these are plentiful in the watermelon. All are necessary to keep the immunity system healthy. The more protein you eat, the more B6 you should be taking in.
- Potassium – 2 cups of watermelon are a great source of potassium. A lack of potassium leads to muscle cramps.
- Hydration – Watermelon is 92% water- perfect for re-hydrating on hot days.
- The fiber in watermelon helps you feel full faster, so you are less likely to overeat. It also helps keep you regular and slows the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream.