From Wilson County Sheriff’s Office:
Another round of pesky jury duty scam phone calls are making its way through our area. Please stay vigilant and educate those who do not have access to social media regarding these scams.
According to the Federal Communications Commission, there are some easy steps you can take to help reduce robocalls:
• Don’t answer calls from blocked or unknown numbers.
• Don’t answer calls from numbers you don’t recognize.
• Don’t assume an incoming call is really from a local number just because it looks like it is.
• Don’t respond to any questions that can be answered with a “Yes.”
• If someone calls you and claims to be with XYZ company, hang up and call the company yourself. Use the company’s website to find an official number.
• If you do answer a call and hear a recording such as, “Hello, can you hear me?” just hang up.
• The same goes for a call where you’re asked to press a number before being connected to a representative.
When you answer a call and interact with the voice prompt or by pressing a number, it lets spammers know your number is real. They can then sell your number to another company or begin targeting your number more frequently.
Don’t become a victim! If you ever need to verify a phone call from us, please dial our non-emergency line at 615-444-1412.